With Thanksgiving right around the corner, it’s no surprise that we’re dreaming about those classic holiday favorites like savory roasted turkey, buttery stuffing, creamy mashed potatoes and of course, sweet slices of pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream. While these are all holiday dinner necessities, I’d like to also put a plug in for the not-so-popular, often-overlooked food group on this day, the veggie dish. Don’t roll your eyes – I promise that it won’t bring the whole meal down, but in fact, will have you (and maybe even your kiddos) going back for seconds.
This bright, colorful assortment of brussels sprouts, red onions and butternut squash is the perfect compliment to your traditional Thanksgiving dinner. It’s simple to throw together and packed full of antioxidant rich foods – something that we could all truly use this year!
So, without further adieu, I introduce what I’ll call our Brussels Sprout, Butternut Squash & Red Onion Dish (if you can think of a more creative name, feel free to share:)Print
Brussels Sprout, Butternut Squash & Red Onion Dish
A bold, savory combination of antioxidant rich veggies – perfect for your holiday meal.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 - 40 min
- Total Time: 7 minute
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Vegetable
- 1.5 lbs fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix brussels sprouts, red onion, shallot, thyme and 1/4 cup olive oil on baking sheet; sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Roast in over for approximately 30 minutes (or until lightly browned), remove and discard thyme.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil on high, then add mushrooms. Stir occasionally until browned (approximately 6 minutes), reduce heat to medium and continue to stir until mushrooms are slightly crispy, an additional 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in soy sauce, paprika and salt to taste.
- Transfer mushrooms to paper towel to dry, then stir in with other vegetables.