Monday is tough in our house. We’re usually coming off an extremely busy weekend, which of course, always flies by, and everyone seems to have a tough time getting out of bed in the morning. But, we can typically look forward to the fact that, if we can just make it though the day, we have a low key family night ahead of us.
As you probably know, it’s my husband who often takes on the dinner prep, and on this particular chilly evening, we went with a classic Chicken Noodle Soup along with grilled cheese sandwiches. Yes, it might sound boring, and I suppose it kind of is, but sometimes, you just need simple, basic, comfort food to close out the day – so that’s exactly what we did.
Check out our version (nothing crazy) that everyone in the family enjoyed — and the grilled cheese was just icing on the cake for the kiddos.Print
Chicken Noodle Soup: The Perfect Monday Comfort Food
Classic, comforting chicken noodle soup to warm you up on a chilly fall day!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Soup
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken – mix of white & dark meat (literally, just purchased from our local grocery store!)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 large carrots, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cups uncooked noodles of your choice
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Saute onion, garlic, celery, carrots & olive oil in a Dutch Oven
- Add broth, thyme & bay leaves and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add noodles, cooking until tender
- Add chicken, green onion and lemon juice
- Season with salt and pepper
- Remove bay leaves before serving
Grilled cheese sandwiches help complete this meal!
Keywords: chicken noodle soup